Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 8 Kings Canyon

Big Walk day today. One of the main reasons we had decided to come to Kings Canyon was to do the “Rim Walk”. We knew it would be challenging and were happy to have our travelling companions as walking companions also. The day was hot and sunny and we got going early. Didn’t make any real difference as it was VERY hot by the time we got to the walk. The kids were champions and zoomed up to the top of the steps. I didn’t really think that at any stage I would not make it. But it certainly was challenging and I was determined to get to the Garden of Eden and have a swim at the top. It was just as I remember from 24 years ago and I think I enjoyed swimming up there even more than I had before. The kids all got in with me (I was the only adult in the party to go swimming) and we had a ball.

It was hard to get out and face the walk back, but down is always easier than up and we did eventually make it down and crumpled into sweaty exhausted heaps. Have I mentioned how much I love the AC in the Disco? (Sorry PJ and Pam, any hope of not using the aircon was abandoned soon after leaving Melbourne)

The rest of the afternoon was spent is states of semi delirium as we continued to battle the flies and rehydrate our bodies. The kids just bolted for the pool and stayed there for the rest of the afternoon. Dinner was procured and we declared at all of 9:10pm that we were “done in (totally pathetic) and headed for the sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment